Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Plum Loco

Everywhere, everywhere there are plums around here. In five gallon nursery containers, in one gallon nursery containers on the floor of my kitchen; in bowls on the counter and even in glass baking pans:



The two French prune plum trees we have were overloaded with beautiful plums this year, and we have been drying plums, giving away plums to friends and neighbors, making plum chutney, plum butter, spiced plums, and plum tarts as you see below:



Yum, yum, yummy plums. Plums, plums, plums for our tummies... plums...

2 comments:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . said...

I was so happy to find your site and have only started to read it. It looks like an incredible resource ~ I am buying my first home and want to start a garden and have a few chickens soon. I am also in Fremont, CA and was wondering if you did zoning research about raising chickens in Fremont? I have looked and looked and found nothing in law or ordinances online. Should I assume it's ok? Is that what you did? And anyway, thanks for documenting your experiences. I am enjoying reading your blog.
Dow

Kris said...

Hi Dow,
Thanks for your nice comments...We did do zoning research about chickens in Fremont. No roosters are allowed, because of the noise. The number of hens you can have depends upon the size of your yard. As I recall, it is 3 up to 1/2 acre, and then more. You can also get a variance--an "Animal Fancier's Permit" which allow more birds.
We did check with all of our neighbors first to be sure that having hens was okay with them. We try to keep things clean and we share the eggs, so that helps promote neighborliness!
I think the city ordinances are under the pets/animals portion of the city's codes. I also remember calling the city a few times and we got different answers each time we called.
Glad you are enjoying the blog!
(I tried to email directly, but could not.)
--Kris